Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

11-18-14

Just an update for those still following my progress.

Global warming has slowed down progress considerably. The plan was to prime the body with epoxy primer before joining it to the frame, but the weather isn't cooperating. Temperatures have been 10 to 30 degrees below normal for about two weeks, and only slight moderating is expected in the next ten days. Average high for this part of the state on this date is 67F, but yesterday's high was only 38F with strong NW winds. The previous night's snow didn't even melt in the shade. Today is a bit warmer, but very windy. The leaves didn't even get a chance to change colors, so many of the trees are covered with frozen green leaves that have now turned black.

Since I can't paint and proceed with the body-joining plan, I've started repairing doors. The complexity of forming small metal patches makes it a very time consuming job and the cold floors in the workshop have dampened my enthusiasm for spending a lot of time out there. That means there will be no photos to post anytime soon.

To top it off, my welding helmet is no longer darkening automatically. I pulled the electronics module out and placed the solar panels in a bright area to see if the batteries will recharge. If not, it looks like I'll have to buy a replacement before I can weld any more patches in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment