Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

1-20-15

Beautiful weather to work outdoors! Between house projects I plugged unneeded trim holes, then repaired and primed the passenger door. Still needs some TLC finishing, but its solid and protected from rust so I set it aside until the body is hung on the frame.

Next project is cleaning and tearing down the engine, positioning the drive train, and fabricating a transmission mount cross member so I can get all the mount brackets installed. Another job that could use a second set of eyes and hands, but I guess I'll find a way to do it alone again.

4 comments:

  1. Sent you a possible source for the "flapper springs" . . . and when you get the stage where you are fabbing up your trans mount, please post as many pictures as possible. And what are you using for motor mounts, the stock 56 Poly mounts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I priced stock motor mounts and since I don't have the old cores, the prices I found were over $400 a pair, so I decided to go with the later spool mounts. I already have the front mounts that cost $22 including shipping, and now have to locate saddles to weld to the frame.

    The rear mount will be a stock '66 as I got the bolt-in crossmember bracket with the transmission. I will have to weld stubs from both sides to attach the bracket.

    My biggest concern is locating the engine mount saddles properly, as I have no old parts to measure for clearance. I also have to get a '56 oil pan to make sure it clears the steering linkage. I thought a truck pan would fit, but I'm told it won't, so a '56 is apparently the only stock part I can use, unless there is a Chrysler or Dodge Hemi pan that will fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Gary P is going to using the saddle mounts in his 56 but I don't know if he can send you measurements. I would be happy to climb under my 56 and take some measurements for you, but I don't know if it would help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks David, but for the time being I'm not even sure where or what to measure. I think the one thing I first need to know is where the front of the vibration damper and/or the crankshaft pulley is in relation to the sloped relief in the front crossmember. That would give me a fore and aft reference to work with. I'll try to get a picture to show what I mean.

    ReplyDelete