Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Functional Version of Armrest and Door Handle

Good old cardboard does it again!

Due to lack of aftermarket parts and some of my grandiose ideas, I 've had to design and fabricate many parts for this car, I don't know how I could have created anything in three dimensions without a supply of heavy, corrugated cardboard. I prefer using corrugated plastic for mock-up work when closer accuracy is required, but for most jobs, cardboard box scraps work just fine, including for my current  armrest/door-handle prototype.

I just finished what I think will be the basic armrest design and it looks functional so far. Since I'm installing electric windows, there is no need to match interior door handle and window crank styling, so instead of the original door handles, I'm making my own that will mount on the front of the armrest and will look somewhat like those used on some Imperials and Chryslers from the sixties. My handles will at least be simple to remove and install, unlike the OEM '56 parts with the annoying spring clips that require a special tool and loads of patience.

I received the 14 gauge metal I ordered to build a more rugged version of the latch actuator. It will also be used to create the arm rest base. I also  received the twelve-dollar box of small coil springs, but they are all very light duty. At least there are several lengths so I can use them to build the prototypes and determine what physical sizes and features I will need when I choose heavier springs for the production part.

Here's what should be the final configuration latch-actuating mechanism. Final termination will require clamping the cable inside the door to clear the electric window hardware. Seems there is always something that has to be accomplished before other things can be finished.

Yes, my design is probably crude compared to what others might come up with, but I didn't want to modify the bear claw mechanism. It can now be replaced independently from the actuator if needed. It functions quite nicely and the light springs work better than expected. It only needs minor adjusting and a couple of bolts and nuts replaced by better fitting parts before I can install it in the door. Then comes the difficult part of figuring out how to make the outside handle operate the cable!







No comments:

Post a Comment