Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Summerfall-Winterspring

Our recent weather reminded me of the pretty young woman who played the character by that name on the old Howdy Doody TV show back in prehistoric times!

Along with storms and heavy rain, we had lots of wind every day, some sun, and temperatures that reached nearly 90F on one day last week, but I had to cover my patio plants last night as it was 37F when I went to bed and light frost was threatened!

My biggest project during this crazy spring weather was getting the hood prepped for paint. The under side was in much better shape than the outside. Underneath, all I had to do was de-rust and fill the dozen or so deepest pits, followed by a coat of primer, to get it ready for epoxy primer and paint.

The top side was badly pitted over most of the hood, and some were getting fairly deep. I spent a couple of hours and several sanding  before I can prime. There is no doubt in my mind that if the car ever gets on the road and spends any time outside in the weather, I'll be looking for a more solid replacement. In the meantime, since I have yet to make a temporary paint booth, I wait for weather nice enough to paint outdoors.

We're also sitting around waiting for the all-clear to get back to life as we know it. This morning I dug out the old barbering tools last used over twenty years ago. I gave myself a haircut and it actually looks okay, but then I can't see the back very well so maybe I shouldn't brag too much. At least it was the cheapest haircut I've had in a long, long time!

About the only business that remain open are those selling food and fuel and a few things they deem critical.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I need to replace the charcoal filters on my painting mask, and no one online has them to sell and say it will be June before they expect any. Mine have not been used that much, but it's been quite a while since I sprayed epoxy and I don't like using old filters that might be harboring bacterial growth. Not sure if there is an effective way to sterilize them before use.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could put them out in the sun on a dry, sunny day and let the natural UV work on them, or maybe the microwave, or a combination of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were my thoughts too, but so far the sun hasn't been cooperating. Even the one recent hot day we had was cloudy with a hot, humid wind blowing. Maybe new filters will be available a little sooner than they expect and I won't have to worry about it!

    ReplyDelete