Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2020

Vent Windows and Stuff


Once the paint covered all the bare primer, it was amazing how much more inspired I became! Okay, so there is still a lot of color sanding to take care of, but there is also a lot of trim and seals that can be installed now.

The vent window assemblies were complete less the glued-on rubber seals, so I finished that part and began installing the windows. It was another visual accomplishment to fuel my enthusiasm.





To fuel it a bit more, I decided to make the back end look more finished, and the bumper, splash shield, and hinged license plate frame/gas-fill cover are now in place. The trunk lock and pot metal “V” passed a fit-check, but must wait to be fastened in place after color sanding the trunk.



Today, some of the last chrome parts went to the re-plating shop today. I should have brought them in earlier as I just realized the stainless-steel window frames will have to be attached to the glass before I can install the power windows.

Last week I ordered the mufflers and tailpipes from Waldron. I should have ordered them earlier too, as the quote is 8-weeks for delivery. They have the tailpipes in stock, but the mufflers are made in Canada and their factory just reopened after being closed for the virus, so I guess it wouldn’t have done any good to order earlier!

Exhaust pipes will have to be fabricated at a later time in a local shop, so my plan is to temporarily install flex-pipe so I can start the engine and sort out all the inevitable problems that are waiting to surprise and frustrate.

I look back at the last ten years of dreaming, designing, repairing, fabricating, learning, and changing nearly every part and I realize that only the basic sheet metal shell is anywhere close to stock, and it too has been massaged and/or altered functionally…if not so much visually.

Inside, the changes are even more extreme from floorboards to headliner, and everything in between. About the only things recognizable to a stock ’56 Plymouth owner would be the control knobs on the dash, but I hope I will have been able to make the changes look like they might have come from the era.





2 comments:

  1. Is it not "funny" how we remember the good parts and forget the thousand bad times ? Good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've had my share of problems created by trying to do too many new things, yet resolving a new or odd problem often provides the most satisfaction. My only real regret is not starting my project a few years earlier. Building a new house and moving half-way across Texas got me way behind, and then nature reminded me that at my age I should be looking at old cars, not crawling around a cold concrete floor working on them! If I manage to get this one on the road before I assume room temperature, I may die of shock!

    ReplyDelete