Search This Blog

Monday, July 20, 2020

Hood and Headliner

I repainted the hood three days ago and while it is better, it is still far from perfect. Remnants of the shallow hail dents are still visible, but I think most will disappear with color sanding. The paint has cured for three days now and should be ready to sand. 

Since I’ll be helping my wife celebrate her birthday today, I might not get time to work on anything car related, but I am anxious to finish the hood and get the last sheet metal installed so I might sneak into the shop for a little while!
 
While waiting for the repainted hood to cure, I replaced the cat whiskers in the door glass flippers and installed the headliner shell so I can determine the final trim lines.

 Ireceived the generic vinyl trim I ordered to see how it would look with the fiberglass shell. The factory pieces were cracked and broken and even if they had been usable, the OEM configuration wouldn’t work with the shell.
The fit seems to be okay but looks much different than stock. The color is more gray than it appeared in the manufacturer's catalog and I would have preferred a gold or tan tone. However, if I can find a fabric with a close color match it should do the job. Internet colors never look the same on a screen, so I’ll have to visit an upholstery shop to order from their sample charts.


The rivets I needed to replace a part on the flipper assembly arrived, so that job is done. I had to order a package of 100 to get the two rivets I needed, but a package was only $5.55 and I now have a lifetime supply!  If you ever wanted to know the part number and a source for those tiny rivets, here’s the info, and if anyone needs some to repair your project, let me know and I can send you a few for the price of postage.


6 comments:

  1. So cool to see your car getting together again Gary ! Good job ! I went for a drive in my 56' Savoy yesterday,it's having some issues with some rattling sounds coming from somewhere.My son found out it came from the brake pads inside the calipers.I have the same disc brake set up as you have from AAJ brakes,but I haven't found no picture of your complete brake assembly in previous posts..problems with mine,seems to be the inner pad,rattling against the mounting pins,since the inner pad has no spring or clips to hold it firmly in place.But shall it have one,or two ? Would cure the irritating noice,I guess..
    Thanks,
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was able to drive mine! Maybe next spring it will be under its own power, but it could take some time to have it roadworthy.

    I searched through my pictures and didn't find a detailed picture of the brakes. I think that was about the time I was having camera problems, so if I did take a picture, it might not have turned out too blurry to post.

    I recall having some problems when installing the pads and springs, but I can't remember what it was, as I seem to have figured it out. I might be surprised with a problem similar to yours!

    Except for the noises, did the brakes work okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd paragraph should have read: "I searched through my pictures and didn't find a detailed picture of the brakes. I think that was about the time I was having camera problems, so if I did take a picture, it might have turned out too blurry to post."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary,the whole disc brake conversion has been a pain in the a..since day one.Still not satisfied,spungy and soft pedal,with lousy brakes,even when I apply the pedal as hard as I can,and I can't figure out why. The system has been bled countless times,even bought a reverse bleeder,so there's no air..eveything is new in the system,so what is wrong ? Could be a crappy Chineese made M/S,but no leaks,and no air..really drives me crazy..
      Have istalled all the recommended parts,think the master and rotors are to a 76'Dart,and the calipers are for the 68' to 71' Charger. The calipers have a metal clamp where the ends go under the mounting pins,and then you pry the clamp over the caliper to it's underside,but the inner brake pad has no clamps,so it's here the rattling comes from.Seems odd to me. I hoped you had installed the brake lines,and bled the system,but you havent come to that part yet?
      Geir

      Delete
  4. Geir, that has to be frustrating! I've always hated working on brakes as some problems are such a pain to troubleshoot.

    I had a grabbing front brake on my ’64 Valiant convertible that happened only occasionally. Despite replacing rubber lines, master cylinder, wheel cylinder, and fiddling with it a dozen times, I never did determine the cause. Then I installed a totally stock ’76 manual-disk conversion and replaced everything except hard lines. At first, the pedal was a little bit spongy and required excessive pressure, but after a few hundred miles it gradually broke in and now the pedal pressure is solid, and it stops like a brand-new car.

    My ’56 has everything new, including hard lines, Volare-Aspen master cylinder and Charger-Magnum calipers, but I haven’t even installed brake fluid yet. When I read about your problems, I’m almost scared to see how mine will function!

    When I get a chance to pull a front wheel, I’ll have check the pad installation again.

    ReplyDelete