Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Roy Clark Greatest Hits and a Short Progress Report

Despite surgery for cataracts, lots of visitors, projects for the wife, cold weather, and health issues, I've been putting some time on the car. I've had the workbenches curtained off from the car, so I don't have to heat the whole garage and am concentrating on several small jobs, like finishing my custom-made interior trim parts.

I got the door handles back from the plating shop, so they are now in place and waiting for the gold plugs that will fit in the ends of the grips.

I finally settled on a configuration for the arm rests, so I'm now making the parts for the other door.

The steering wheel design I had planned on using proved to be a problem merging the '56 horn rim to the truck steering wheel. I'm now totally redesigning those parts and it's been a hassle! Functionally, it now operates must better, and I am creating a new center section trim piece.

Hope to make more progress over the holidays and should have a few pictures by then.


I need to listen to this more often so I can get fired up to get back to work on my project! I had almost forgotten how talented he was.

https://youtu.be/IR3aVmM5h-

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Gary for posting, you bring up something that I have been thinking about. I think that we have a tendency to get side tracked with some great idea on a neat feature that are really cool meanwhile the project progress is stalled. Nothing wrong with that when you are young, but in my case there is a lot wrong when one has had too many birthdays. On my next project (patiently waiting) I am not going to do power windows or other neat but unnecessary time wasting cool items so that I will have time left to drive it when it's done.
    (it's call it the pacemaker philosophy) Merry Christmas,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure nailed that one, Ray, and I'm the guiltiest of the guilty! When I took on this project, I knew it would be a huge job, but I never dreamed there would be so many time-consuming things that required designing and fabricating custom parts. If I could have stayed the same age as I was when I started, it would have helped, as I also never dreamed that my strength and endurance would deteriorate so quickly. I also didn't expect my wife's failing health to make it impossible for her to carry the housework load the way she used to do. She has to spend nearly all day on her back and needs lots of assistance. Add those facts to my preference to tinker instead of working smart and diligently, and you have what I should have known would happen...the car 90% complete and my body 99% worn out and mostly unrestorable! My expectations for cruising the town in a finned rest=mod have been replaced by being content if I get it to hear the engine fire-up when the starter turns. Sorting out the bugs and getting it registered sound impossible now, and I doubt it will ever leave my yard.

      Delete
    2. No, humans are to suborn to know when to stop, you will get it registered (START ON THAT NOW) and you will leave the yard.

      Delete