Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mid-Course Summary

Now that I've pretty much decided to proceed with the Fury Tribute idea, I'm also formulating and solidifying other plans. The one thing that hasn't changed is the goal of modernizing most of the mechanical and comfort features to make the car enjoyable to drive. That means upgraded stopping and handling to go along with a more modern drivetrain, as well as a complete interior redo.

What I hope to recapture is the original marketing concept of good performance and road manners in a car with unique exterior styling and upscale interior attributes, while still keeping the car in an affordable price range for younger new car buyers. Obviously, a project of this magnitude challenges the affordability idea today, but the improvements I plan would likely be similar to what the manufacturer might have done had the car been conceived twenty-five to thirty years later.

I've already begun the drive train upgrades with the installation of a B-body 8-3/4" rear end and larger drums. To keep the entry level performance concept, I've pretty much settled on a LA engine (whatever size is available when I need it) with a single 4-bbl, a modest cam grind, improved exhaust system, aluminum heads, and electronic ignition. A quick dimension check gives me confidence that stock Magnum exhaust manifolds will work perfectly. Whatever engine mods I do , the engine must thrive on 87 octane gas, and all bolt-on parts should be available at any parts store so repairs are inexpensive and readily available. Most importantly, it should resemble what might have come from the factory.

The transmission type is still undetermined, but I'm leaning towards a stock aluminum 727, or maybe a 518 if I decide to swap differential gears. Underneath it will have stock '56 Fury suspension, since I've been convinced it's adequate and reasonably efficient. However, front disk brakes are a must, and the 15" Cordoba alloy wheels will allow me to go with disks and better tires. The steering will remain manual, since the '56 power steering is obsolete and I can't find another box that would allow using a more modern system.

I'm asked about the reason for using aluminum heads if I'm trying to keep prices down. Besides making the steering easier, the other main reason is to get better weight distribution. I will also use an aluminum radiator, and of course the intake manifold and carb will be aluminum. The modern 727/518 should weigh far less than the old cast iron PowerFlite that the steering and suspension were designed for, and by also moving the battery to the trunk, the F/R weight ratio will be much closer to 50-50.

The interior will retain Fury colors and similar patterns, but they might be from a '57 or '58, as I find those designs to look a little richer than the '56. The front bench will disappear and be replaced by Sebring convertible power seats so the shoulder belts will be integrated. I'm also looking at aftermarket power windows, since OEM versions in good condition might be difficult to find.

Unless I can devise a way to use the pushbutton controls with the later model transmission, and since I already have it, I will install an A-body floor shifter with cable control similar to the one I fabricated for my truck. I wish I knew more about servo controls so I could come up with a way to use stock appearing buttons to shift electronically.

A custom console will run all the way to the rear seats, similar to the first generation Chargers, and the rear bucket-type seats will be custom built with shoulder belts. All gauges will be the modern backlit style that change contrast at night. I've worked with a company that can make custom size faces to appear similar to the OEM gauges, so the smaller gauges will be simple. The biggest issue is the huge speedometer the '56 came with, as it will require a non-standard size housing, and that might mean big bucks. The stock AM radio will be replaced by a touchscreen controlled media center with GPS. Last, but not least, the steering column will be replaced by a Flaming River tilt unit, and I will probably use a Cordoba wheel if the smaller size doesn't increase steering force dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment