Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Fill-in Jobs

While waiting for parts to arrive, there is no shortage of labor-intensive restoration tasks to keep me busy. The stainless steel door frame trim will keep me going for some time.

I picked the worst ones to work first and here is the result of somewhere around eight hours of grinding and sanding. It's too bad the rusting was so severe as it will be impossible to remove some of the deeper pits. They will have to be good enough for driver quality, since replacements in good condition are very expensive. I recently saw a single NOS piece with a buy-it-now price of over $900 on ebay. If I'm not happy with my polishing results, I'll have the Belvedere versions chrome plated.

To get them this far I first hand sanded with 80 grit paper, then I used a orbital grinder with a 120 grit wheel to dig a little deeper. From that point, progressed to 180, 220,320 and 400 grit hand sanding. That's as far as I'm going at this point as they will be put aside for months. I'll finish them with 600, 1000, and then 1200 before I buff them with two grades of buffing compound and follow up with a coat of Mother's metal polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment