Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

3/12/14 Progress

Not much visible happening with my cars recently, unless washing my Valiant convertible and lowering the top is report worthy. It hit 82F in North Texas yesterday so I cleaned a winter’s worth of dust off and took it for a short cruise around our big city. I was hoping to get it cleaned in time to take it to the muffler shop for a muffler transplant, but I ran out of day and energy about the same time. I will have to get it fixed before car show season arrives, since the droning at cruise speeds is very annoying.

As for the '56, I’ve been fabricating and fitting several sheet metal parts. The curved pieces needed to repair the license plate recess in the replacement tail panel were the most time consuming, eating up the better part of two afternoons to form and fit before I could tack-weld them together, but at least that part is finally done.

Here’s a picture of a few of my hand made parts, plus the rear floor panels I purchased from Black Car. They will have to be modified by fabricating and locating body mount cups, and I'm not looking forward to that job. It would be nice if those cups could be purchased somewhere, as I’m really not satisfied with the ones I’ve made. I’ve talked to my creative son-in-law about machining a die and stamping them in his shop, but he hasn’t made one yet.



The replacement panel is far from perfect, but as you can see in an earlier post, the one on the Belvedere looks like it's made of lace, and the Fury looks even worse.

Next step is to cut off the ends of the ’55 tail panel so I can match fit it to the ’56 version. When that’s accomplished, I can finish welding the entire tail panel together along with the small, fabricated trunk floor pieces that attach to it. Then the remainder of the trunk floor can be welded in place so I can support the body on the rear mounts and begin work on the rear seat floor and rocker panels.

The only new part I received this week is a NOS anti-sway bar that I picked up on e-bay. There were three of them being offered by three different people, but the buy-it-now price on this one was $100 cheaper than the others. It’s in perfect shape, even the fifty-plus year old rubber. I could have replaced the rubber on my old one, but the bar and brackets were too deeply pitted to trust it.

No comments:

Post a Comment