Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A Foundation to Build on

After many more months than originally planned, I finally have a foundation to begin building on. The floor and trunk are patched, sealed and primed, and all body mounts repaired or reinforced. Not at all pretty, but everything should be functional and solid. It would have been so much easier, and the results more attractive if factory correct sheet metal had been available, or even rust free salvaged parts. But then it's a '56 Plymouth, so why would I expect such foolishness!


 
I did find something interesting that I hadn't paid attention to before. I knew there was a small diameter hole in the middle of the roof, but thought it had been drilled for some reason and didn't examine it closely. Well, today I checked it out and it looks like a bullet hole! The edges are pushed up from being punctured, not drilled, and the diameter is .260, so it appears to have been made with a .22 or .25. My first car was a '41 Chevy that I grew to hate enough that when the engine died, I parked it behind some trees on the farm and every time I walked by, I shot it with whatever gun I was carrying. As many holes and dents it eventually ended up with, none were made from inside the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment