Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2014

Got Trim!


Rigidized Metal Corp came through and delivered on schedule the patterned aluminum material I ordered. The stamped pattern is not an exact match for the OEM parts, but it’s close enough as is, and if I make a tool to add an additional line imprint, it would be next to impossible to spot the difference. I’m quite satisfied with what they sent.

I quickly made a rough trim plate for the shifter pod so I could do a quick check of the button alignment and operation before crimping the brass sleeves in place. They all operate smoothly, but I’m not quite satisfied with the alignment of a couple of them. After the modified shifter assembly is finished and the cable is operating properly, I’ll make a couple of new buttons and do some minor realignment in the trim plate.

 

In the last two photos, you can see the latest iteration of the Park lever module in both the park and released positions. The improvements are a rubber pad for the spring to ride on in the released position, and a spring loaded roller to apply a small amount of pressure to the side of the shaft in the engaged position. Both were added to prevent rattles and contribute to smoother movement. The pawl to operate the cable pin has yet to be welded to the shaft, as I want to first verify the correct amount of movement required after I get the bell crank parts attached.

 
 

Not much progress to report on the body work. I did roll it outside so I could grind down the welds and blow a couple weeks of accumulated dust out of the inside and allow me to give the garage floor a thorough cleaning.

I did repair the bullet hole in the roof to test an idea I read somewhere on the Internet. I used a 10p box nail, and it worked very slick! The diameter of the nail head was nearly perfect to fill the hole, and the nail is long enough to easily hold it secure while tacking in place. A quick cut with the grinder and it was ready to go. It sure beats trying to build up a weld or tack in a tiny piece of sheet metal, and now I have learned an easy way to fill all the unused side trim mounting holes.

 

4 comments:

  1. Gary,

    Do you have any "extra" patterned aluminum left? I would love to get a little to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, sure do. What size do you want? They are approx. 8" X 48", so if you want a whole sheet it takes some heavy packaging to protect it. If what you need will fit in a standard mailer, I'll send it and you can return the mailing cost with no charge for the material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary,

    All I think I would need is a couple of 3" x 5" cuttings/pieces. Per our prior chats, I am going to use a '63 Dodge truck shift pod so I need to make a new faceplate on my 56 Plymouth. I would probably only need enough to mess one up and then make a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, send me your mailing address: fury56@horizons13.com

    ReplyDelete