Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Little Stuff


It’s back to searching and waiting for parts so I can establish motor and transmission mount locations. However, there’s never a shortage of jobs to keep me occupied.
First things first.  I had to cut down last year’s lanatana dead growth, but  my self-propelled Husqvarna mower refused to start.  A shot of starter fluid got it to fire, but when that burned up it quit, so I knew it was a fuel problem. I verified there was no water in the fuel system and when I removed the carb I found it clean as new, but flushed everything with carb cleaner anyway. Still wouldn’t start. I removed the carb again and used more carb cleaner and compressed air on everything. Still wouldn’t start. It took a third time and a thin wire to remove a tiny gob of sticky, tan material from deep inside and partially plugging one of the ports. I have no idea what it was, but no solvent would cut it. Now it runs like a champ, but I wasted two hours.

After my mowing job I finally got back to the car. The first project was cleaning and painting the damper and several engine brackets. Now they are sitting on the shelf, out of the way and waiting for installation. While I was painting, I touched up the frame that has been sitting outside, painted and exposed to the elements for more than two years. Then I scraped decades old greasy, dirty crud from the transmission housing and various engine parts and covers.
 

 
Since the weather was nice and I could work outside, I decided to clean, de-rust, sand and polish the stainless steel surrounding the door and quarter window glass. The pitting was deep, so it was a slow, tedious process. I got one window finished and another nearly done, but it took the better part of two days. I’ll still have to disassemble them and replace the bedding channel when it arrives, but at least the stainless looks decent, if not perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment