Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Slight change of Plans

Since the beginning of my project, I had planned to use a Flaming River or Ididit tilt steering column, mostly so I could have a column-mounted ignition switch, as well as emergency flashers and a modern turn signal harness with lane changing feature.

After doing more research and seeking opinions on HAMB and other forums, I learned that the quality of aftermarket columns is not that great. Another strike against that option is the steering wheel limitation. They do not have a Mopar spline available on the shaft, so it was either an aftermarket wheel with an adapter, or a GM, neither of which I wanted. The alternative was to make my own Mopar adapter, which was a little too complicated and time consuming. The total cost would be in the neighborhood of $1000...not a very friendly neighborhood, and I haven't found an aftermarket wheel that I like and would look right on a '56.

I sought another option and after some ebay searching and more measuring, I decided to buy a column from a mid-eighties Dodge truck.

It is almost exactly the same length as the '56 column. It has the switch, turn signals and flashers I want, plus the crash collapsible design that was not available on the aftermarket version I needed. I will have the choice of dozens of Mopar steering wheel styles that are a direct fit, and at $120, the price is way more palatable. It would be nice to have the tilt feature, but for the price I can live without it.

I have several steering wheels that would work, but I'm leaning toward the wheel I swapped out of my '73 D100.

It is 1/2" smaller diameter than the stock wheel, and is slightly dished, which makes me more comfortable than having that bone-crushing point on the Hollywood wheel sitting in front of my chest.
I would replace the horn button with something more period correct, but the wheel diameter is about right for manual steering. I also have a nice wheel that would look better, but it's only 15" in diameter which might make steering a little too heavy. At least I will have more options while keeping the car more Mopar.

No comments:

Post a Comment