Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thanksgiving Delays

Our Thanksgiving weekend company has gone home, but the heavy rains have returned. About 9" have fallen since last Wednesday, and at least one more day of bad weather to go. To top it off, my geothermal heating system quit on Friday. That's the fifth time it's failed in two years, and as usual, it happened on a weekend. One more thing to keep me away from working on the car.

My plans to roll the frame inside have now been delayed until I can get outside to work again. I also have to figure a better way to lift, support, and lower the body by myself. When I restored my '73 D100, I used jacks and blocks, but it was a slow process and I don't want to do that again. I have an electric winch mounted on the wall that will be used to pull the frame inside the shop, but the angle it's attached to the wall won't allow it to be used to hoist the body without a complicated pulley arrangement. I'll have to rig up an anchor point in another place so I can use a come-along to do the lifting.

Notice that Blogger has apparently fixed their photo posting software issue with Windows 10. I replaced a couple of pictures in previous posts so they are easier to see details.

And just for the curious...no, I won't be using that rope to lift the body, though the max rating is close to strong enough. I have a 1/4" cable to make sure it will do the job. The ceiling anchor is also more than adequate as it's a threaded shaft that is secured by a brace across the ceiling joists in the attic, and the eye-hook is rated at 2,000 lb. Since four of us carried the body without much difficulty, it probably weighs around 300 lb.

No comments:

Post a Comment