Search This Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Chrome Plating Results

It’s been a busy day for car stuff. This morning I researched which parts were needed for the AC before I can install the dash. Got that done and ordered a control panel and everything needed to fabricate the under-dash evaporator to firewall hoses. Every part was in stock and will be shipped tomorrow, so they should be here next Monday.
I also ordered the 15’, AWG 2 battery cable that I will need to relocate the battery in the trunk. There sure is a huge price difference for the same product on different websites. The same brand and part number varied from $22 with free shipping to over $100 plus shipping.
Around noon I got a call from the chrome plating shop to tell me my parts were ready to pick up. The charge was $300 for two bumper wings and two pot metal wiper bezels. They did a good job on all the parts and I was especially glad to see that the plating process did cover the minor blemishes left after my repair with Muggy Weld. He didn’t break down the price of individual pieces, but since the usual charge for a bumper is around $300 and the bumper wings together are nearly the same size as a typical bumper, he didn’t charge much for the bezels. About eight hours of my time and twenty bucks in material probably saved me $200, and I learned how to use the product if I ever need to do it again. In these pictures you can see the bezel repair stages.








This afternoon the upholstery shop called with a couple of questions, so he’s back to working on the seats and rear side panels. I’m still not in a panic for them, but I am getting anxious to see how they look.

Despite lots of house duties I’ve been getting a few things done with the dash wiring and am nearly ready to install the firewall connector. But, before I install the dash, I think I’ll paint the roof so there will be less masking and chance of damaging anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment