Search This Blog

Friday, August 12, 2016

Back to Waiting

Once again the weather slows progress. It was windy enough that I wasn't able to apply the primer-surfacer before the deadline to overcoat the epoxy primer without sanding. The weather for the next ten days is expected to be showery, so I'm not in a big rush to work on the body.

After determining the locations for the A/C compressor and alternator, there was a need to install a spacer behind the crank pulley. Fortunately, the scrap metal bin had a piece of aluminum the exact thickness, so I made what I needed and got it installed.


It was surprisingly difficult to find flanged stub pipes that fit the exhaust manifolds. The stock exhaust pipe measured 1.55" while the manifold opening is about 1.75. These pipes measure 1.86" ID, so along with dual pipes flow should improve somewhat. With the stock manifolds hampering efficiency, removing burnt fuel will need some help to balance the intake side.

While the pipe and flanges look to be very high quality, the parts provided to attach them made me scratch my head. They only included one gasket, so I threw it in my gasket collection and replaced it with a pair of high quality Remflex gaskets. After frustrating experiences with stock exhaust and manifold gaskets on my slant six cars, I switched to Remflex and all the problems were cured.

The furnished bolts might be long enough to attach the flanges to a thin, stamped manifold, but they are 1/2" too short if using on cast iron manifolds. What's really strange is the models the manufacturer says this flange kit is supposed to fit are all foreign four-cylinders. Go figure!


I'm guessing not much else will be accomplished until the weather is more stable again.

No comments:

Post a Comment