Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Chipping Away!


The more I looked at the steering column firewall seal, the less I liked it, so I decided to replace the fixed-seal with a bellows design. I found a universal CV seal that was designed to be cut to size and it fits perfectly! That’s one less compromise I’ll have to worry about changing later.

With the starter and steering column installed, I can finally start attaching sheet metal to make it look like I’m making some progress. Now I can research the best locations to mount all the engine compartment electronics.


With the battery going in the trunk, I’ll have space options, so I think I’ll try to use the inner fender  as much as possible. The alternator has been moved to that side of the engine, and since the starter and firewall connector are already there, most of the wire runs will be shorter than stock and should look neater.


It was time to order more parts, so I took care of that today. The ignition module, ballast resistor and coil should arrive from Rock Auto this week. The Standard brand sparkplug wires I bought last time didn’t fit very well, as the wire lengths were a compromise, so I took advantage of a close-out price and maybe a different manufacturer will fit better.

I ordered more AWG 18 wire in different colors to better match the truck circuitry colors, and I finally broke down and bought a crimp tool for the Delphi-Packard firewall connector contacts. FWIW, I ordered the wire about an hour ago, and I just received a notice that the order was shipped!

I decided not to attempt modifying the stock mechanical ’66 transmission kickdown linkage and ordered a Lokar cable, and then decided to go with a Lokar throttle cable as well. The more I work on custom parts, the more I appreciate the aftermarket for things like that. I miss the challenge of making things appear stock, but I’m wasting too much of the time I don’t have.





4 comments:

  1. Looking good Gary..those finned valve covers are so cool..just can't figure out what that red hose,or wire on the firewall is for ? The black grommet ? directly under it,may be the hole for wires to the fusebox ?
    The front tires looks " beefy " what are your plans for wheels and tires ? As you know,there aren't much room for fat tires inside the rear wheel wells...
    My 56 Savoy has stock white walls on 4.5 " rims,so it is a challenge to keep on the road.Would like to change to radial tires with white walls,but that will also mean new 5" or 6" wheels, I guess...and lots of $$..probably will have to dream about that for a while..
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geir, the red cable is from the trunk mounted battery, and terminates at the starter relay.

    The black thing is an aftermarket connector that will accommodate all the wires coming through the firewall. There will be an underhood fuse box and another inside the console.

    The tires are 215-70-15 Coopers on stock '80 Cordoba 7" rims. I installed the tires to check rear clearance, and it's tight with the slightly wider B-body rear end, but I think it will be okay. I really hope it won't be a problem once the body sits at ride height with a full load. I prefer whitewalls and the choice of size and brand was limited. Stock tires on the Cordoba were 65 series, but I couldn't find whitewalls in that size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's a magnetic trigger distributor to fit that engine, switching to HEI would allow you to ditch the ignition box and ballast. Did you also order the Lokar bracket to hold the cables?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I got the bracket but forgot to mention it in the post.

    ReplyDelete