Search This Blog

Friday, February 2, 2018

About Time for Some Good News


The engine is back in and the starter now clears by nearly a half-inch. The angle of the picture looks like it’s less, but it’s deceiving. I had a concern about the fit of the transmission dip stick, but by moving the motor mounts, the slight angle change actually gave more clearance for the tube.

I also removed the adapter from the mini-starter terminals, and it now has plenty of clearance  for wiring.




I’ve been waiting to fit-check the reworked steering column, and it positions the wheel in exactly the same position as the stock setup, so that’s one less worry.




I originally wanted to use the gray later model 15” wheel, but the size just doesn’t look right.




My other choice is the stock 17” black wheel that came on my ’73 D100. It’s in perfect condition and will be much easier to modify to look more like a period correct wheel. It’s the same 17” diameter as the ’56 wheel, which will make the manual steering easier to turn, as well as allow a better view of the speedometer.

4 comments:

  1. Gary, I have posted some pictures / questions over at;

    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2443761/new-rotisserie-and-plymouth-frame-cut-for-dakota-sub-frame.html#Post2443761

    I don’t have the time / energy to do my own blog.
    I could not get your email address to work?
    Keep truckin’and be good, Ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, I had posted a long answer, but the site crashed and I lost it. I'm tied up for several days, but will post your pictures as soon as I can. I'm really impressed with your project!

      Delete
  2. Everything looks great Gary..so nice and clean. Is the stock steering wheel ruined or missing ? Have you fired up the engine yet ?
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geir, the stock wheel was nothing but metal and a few pieces of crumbling plastic. My main reason for swapping steering columns was the Hollywood style, chest crushing horn ring, and the fact that my parts car wheel was also in bad shape.

    Very little wiring in place yet, so it will quite a while before I can hear it run!

    ReplyDelete