Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Steering Wheel Status

The chrome shop delivered my horn-bar parts at 0900 this morning, and they did the usual beautiful job of plating. I can't say enough good things about the way they treat their customers.

 I epoxied the mounting hardware in place on the back of the chromed parts, so they will be dry by tomorrow morning and I can fit check everything.

When the mail arrived, I was surprised to find the leather wheel cover in the mail box, especially after the Monday holiday, so it took only two working days from California to my door! I now have all the parts I need to complete the steering wheel, so I got anxious and started lacing the cover in place. It's a slow process, and brutal on the fingers that I use to pull the lace tight, so I'm not sure when I will be done. I'll hold off taking pictures of the wheel until it's complete.

Wiring continues to be frustrating. I'm more than a little bit unsure about the column-mounted ignition switch in the '73-'76 truck column I'm using. I just noticed that the pigtail wire that carries power to the windshield wiper motor is AWG 14 on the hard-wired ignition switch, but the '56 body wiring diagram shows a 10 gauge for that circuit. Sounds like melted wires waiting to happen. The stock truck wiring was not well designed, and melted wires inside the column and fried switches were far too common, so I might have to reroute or add some new circuits and pick up the wiper power from a different source.

The wiring issues are quickly becoming my least favorite part of the project!



2 comments:

  1. I think (?) that wiper motors have a continuous power supply so that the park feature works even if the key is off ? Is the 14 ga wire a off/on circuit that could be used to switch a relay with less current ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray, I think you are right about the reason, and the relay idea is a good one!

    ReplyDelete