Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2019

When it Rains it Pours


Lots of things underway, but nothing of importance finished. The daily rains continue unabated, and my gauge has registered over Five inches in the past week! The yard has standing water everywhere and the grass is growing like jungle bamboo. The ten-day forecast predicts that intermittent storms will continue through the middle of May, so if it ever does dry out, it will take days to catch up with delayed yard work.
Here’s all that’s happening with the car.
The metal for the homemade shock extensions arrived and I’ve been trying to determine the best bracket design to use. I would have preferred switching to a longer shock that would bolt in, but I had to give up the search. The closest length I could find were those for a Toyota 4-wheel drive truck, but they were too heavy duty for my use, and still two inches short at full extension. I don’t like the five-inch brackets but will use them for now. After the car hits the road I may decide to create a different mounting method.

This is the best extension design I've tried so far and will paint and install them this weekend. Both sides will be identical, so they are easy to make. Angles will be installed and welded after parts are fitted to the frame.

I've also changed my mind about modifying the e-brake cables. I was leery of having the mechanic experiment attaching a barrel stop on my parts, so I invested in a tool that will crimp the aluminum barrel-stops I found in Lowe’s fencing department. Not sure if it will do the job but will give it a try after I finish mounting the rear shocks. At least I’ll be the one to blame if it goes wrong.

The hydraulic crimper is Chinese made, so I might regret doing the job myself, but we’ll see.


The e-brake cable bracket is done and will be bolted to the left spring shackle support.


I did finish reconfiguring the belt drives and everything fits much better now. Belt adjustment has improved and the entire mounting method is significantly sturdier. I’ll need to buy different belts, but overall the design should be much better than my first idea.  


1 comment:

  1. Keep at her bud, thanks for the tip on the hydraulic crimper.

    ReplyDelete