Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Beneath the Belly of the Beast!


While waiting for parts to arrive, and the car is still sitting on jack stands, I’ve been working on some tasks that require crawling under the car. My age and arthritis really show up when I work on my back!
First thing I did was search through my driveshaft collection to find the closest to my needs. The one from the ’66 B-body that donated the engine and transmission looked like the best option. I removed the old U-joints and after a couple hours of scraping off decades of mud and grease it looked quite nice.

The way the car sits, it appears I’ll have to shorten the shaft by 1” to 1-1/2”, but to get an accurate dimension I’ll have to set the car on the floor so the suspension is loaded when I measure.  I haven’t found a nearby shop to cut the shaft yet, as the one we had locally moved or went out of business. I hope I don't have to send it out.

The small splash shields that fit at the bottom of the inner fenders were next. One side was missing on the project car and one on the Fury donor, but fortunately I ended up with a matched pair. The donor car part was badly rusted, but it served as a pattern to make a new one. Today I finished cleaning and painting both and now they need to dry before I can make new neoprene flaps to replace the damaged and missing rubberized-fabric originals.

I’m still working on the intermediate e-brake cable and really want to finish that pain-in-the ass job! Maybe next weekend.

Here’s a blurry picture of the fans and shroud installed. Once again, my crappy camera went out of focus by itself so I’ll have to play with settings until I can get some better-quality shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment