Search This Blog

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Lousy December, but Happy New Year!

Okay, I know I haven't been posting about my progress, but I've had reasons!

Beginning a few weeks ago it seemed like everything around the house began to self-destruct. First the dryer, followed by the water heater then the dishwasher and the ice machine plus  a continuing battle with the restricted flow in the hot water

When the wife got home, her car battery died and caused her to miss a doctor's appointment she had waited a month to get, and then my van battery had starting issues just before a HID headlight burned out. That was a quick way to spend over $700 replacing both.

Yesterday, I went to replace two patio floodlight bulbs and lost one of the lens screws. Yep, it was metric and I scrounged for an hour finding one that would work.

Since Christmas, it seems like every day I have to assemble some type of furniture or other junk my wife bought, or fix something she broke or wants to change in her studio.

When I finally got a chance to spend a few minutes on the car, the welding I had planned was put off because my helmet won't darken!

On the bright side, I hung the neon Forward Look sign my wife gave me for Christmas on the shop wall, and it looks great.

Also got the '55 parking lights installed using an adapter plate, but on another down side, I've been working on headlight buckets and don't have enough parts from the four I have to make two good ones. Naturally, while you can buy a pair of rebuild kits for a '55-'57 Chevy for about thirty bucks, I can't even find good used ones for the Plymouth that aren't gold plated.


I sure hope the new year puts an end to the kitchen appliance and car problems. None of the failed machines is economically repairable, and between buying new appliances and repairing cars, I'm spending my restoration funds on everything but the Plymouth!



2 comments:

  1. Funny about that, it must be contagious. I decided to do a full service my acreage tractor because the hydraulic oil was low. Changed all the filters and fluids including 5 gals hydraulic oil. Next morning most of it was on the shop floor, I found out why it was low, rear axle seal was leaking bad. (trans, diff and hyd all use the same oil) The seal had rusted through from the inside (sits a lot) and is unobtainable discontinued and a proprietary(?) part, found some from a Japanese only tractor dealer in the USA, waiting, and not cheap. There is a old stupid saying, what does not kill you makes you stronger ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the saying is correct, Ray. The older we get, the more strength we need!

    I feel for you trying to find a reasonably priced cure for your seal problem, but as a '56 Plymouth owner you are familiar with that problem!

    ReplyDelete