Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Exhaust Fit Check

 Not much showing in the picture, but I temporarily installed the mufflers and tailpipes. So far, so good, They are the stock configuration from Waldron to fit a '56 with the optional Powerpack. Since I have a rear end from a later year  with different shock placement, and a non-stock gas tank, I may have a clearance problem when I take it off the jack stands. At least I can measure and order the proper-sized hangers and clamps. 

One thing that concerns me is how low the pipes will be to the ground where they cross below the transmission mount crossmember. There is room to cut a clearance notch on the driver's side, but because of the driveshaft offset, the other side would require a complicated jog in the exhaust pipe.

I remember my '55 Plymouth when I was a kid had the pipes pass below the crossmember, and I broke two manifolds when the stock configuration pipe hit the ground as the car bottomed out on a rutted country road. I don't drive roads like that anymore, but it would still worry me. Since I plan to temporarily use flex pipe from the manifold to the mufflers, I'll have time to play with ideas.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment