Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Golden Choices

 Here comes Summer! 

Winter was reluctant to give up, but the next two weeks forecast is for temps to be in the 60s and 70s with the chance of a couple days in the 80s with not much chance of precipitation.

I've done almost nothing on the car for a couple of months, but I did receive the gold vinyl-wrap material I ordered, so I cut a practice piece to see if I could install it correctly and if the color is something I might consider in place of the Mylar. My success with the wrap had mixed results, but I learned quite a bit about working with the material, so I trust that I can improve a lot if I do everything like the YouTube experts say to do.

 Here are pictures of the results to compares to the Mylar. Comments welcome!




In the photos, the Mylar looks closer to the original color, but the vinyl doesn't have as much "greenish" shine as the picture shows and of course the texture is incorrect or missing on both products. Big problem is the wide Mylar pieces are not quite big enough to use the stainless trim without modifying the stock pieces to fit. I hate to do that with rare Fury parts.

One side of me says that nothing about the car is anywhere near a stock Fury anyway so neither would please the purist. The other side of me says to make up my mind and do it the fastest way possible and finish the damn car!

One other thing about the stainless trim installation problem is that I had to give up on finding the preferred 3M PT1500 trim-tape. I finally talked to a 3M regional sales rep and they have no way to determine who might have a stock of the tape. He offered a suggestion of how to use the common 1/4 inch tape that they stock in the paint store, so I'm going to try some samples his way to see if it will do the job.

Medical status...still not back to normal and I'm temporarily carrying a plastic tube in my belly to drain fluid buildup around the skin graft surgery site. Maybe it will be removed next week so I can take advantage of the great weather!



7 comments:

  1. When I first started on my wagon (seems like 100 years ago) I wanted to do the gold Fury trim. Some research and investigation ended that quickly. The good thing (subjectively) is that having both feet in the dark side leaves me unlimited options to do anything I want. The '58 Ford car gold trim was a close second but also realistically unobtainable. So plan "C" .. no trim. Nice to hear from you Gary, the snow fleas wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes envy the '57 Chevy hobbyist when it comes to finding restoration parts, but then I think about all the car shows where I've counted as many as seventeen Chevys and I can only recall a few shows with any kind of '56 Plymouth, much less a Fury! I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but when I'm work on my "dark side" Plymouth, I at least have a smidgen of pride knowing I didn't choose the easy way to build a project car. As for the snow fleas, we managed to keep them away this year. It was 85F yesterday, and the same forecast for today!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you're posting some updates Gary ! The Fury trim..hmm,I know I wouldn't have the nerve to modify the stock pieces,for sure,so for me,the vinyl wrap would be the way to go. But,the wrapping companies seems to offer endless varities of colors and patterns ? If you have a small piece of the original goldanodized aluminium Fury inserts,you can maybe visit,or send the piece to a company and hear what they can do ? Another option is to put the Fury trim on,and either drive like that,without the gold,and take the time to choose different vinyls or paint,or skip the Fury trim,and go for the Belvedere trim you might have for the car ? Nice too,but not like the Fury,of course.I have a 56' Savoy,you know,and I do like the plain stainless moulding on my car,looks clean,in my eyes.
    Take care Gary,you'll be fine !
    The best from Geir

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've searched hundreds of wrap patterns to finally find the one I bought. However, I'm leaning more and more towards the vinyl wrap, even though I can't find a closer match. I sent pictures of the original gold aluminum to several suppliers, but no one had anything closer than what I bought. The name of the material is "Anodized Gold", but it is a little bit lighter in color than the original aluminum. The problem, according to the vinyl manufacturers, is applying a tiny pattern of dots to simulate texture. One of them tried making some samples, but It ended up just looking dirty and not very bright gold. They will probably come up with a better match about the time I finish installing mine, but I won't worry about that until it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary,just been watching a video on You Tube,about a 58 Christine Fury,built by a company called Graveyard Carz...yes,with a z..high end build,completely stock outside,but with a 1000 HP Hellephant engine. Anyway,some company,or guy,made a complete set of new aluminium inserts for the side trim with the correct pressed pattern. Don't know if the pattern is the same on the 56' Fury,and if it is availlable as gold anodized,but maybe worth checking out ?
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been a while Gary.. How are you and your car doing ?
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geir, sorry for not monitoring the blog every day. Work on the car has pretty much stopped. I'm still tired all the time and have been overwhelmed with work on the house. We ordered new kitchen cabinets a couple months ago and I've been trying to hire a crew to install them, but no one with a good reputation is available. There are thousands of houses being built in the area and all the good crews want to work on new builds and keep a steady list of customers. They don't want to be bothered with a small kitchen renovation. I finally gave up hiring the work done and am doing the work myself. When I was young, I worked several years building custom cabinets so I can do the work, but in my condition with no one to help with the heavy jobs, I often have to rig tools and framing just to lift and move things into place. Working short days, it takes forever to see any progress. If the last of my appliances a show up when promised, I should have the cabinets ready for countertops by late May, and maybe I can be back working on the car sometime in June.

    ReplyDelete