Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

Trunk Progress

Trunk floor replacement is far enough along for me to move on to another major sheet metal challenge. I think it will be the back seat floor, but I'll have to evaluate it some more...that means procrastinate. I've never tried a major repair project like this one, so I want to be sure I work things in the logical sequence.

I found another source for patch panels, so I'm holding off some repairs waiting for a response to learn if they have any formed parts that will make my job easier. In the meantime, I ordered some 20 gauge sheet metal for the exterior patches I know I will have to fabricate. I would have liked to order a full 4' X 8' sheet for the reasonable $59 they quoted, but the freight bill would be over $150, so I ordered two smaller pieces that can ship via UPS.

The tail panel and most of the trunk floor are tacked in place and ready to finish welding. I'll do some of that when I have easy access while replacing the lower portion of the quarter panels.

 
It was fun doing this corner! After removing the fuel filler sheet metal, I had to form several pieces and scab on a body mount cup salvaged from the Big M trunk floor. By the time I get to sealing the bottom of the car, I know I'll be using a lot of seam sealer in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment