Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mid-course Observations

When I bought the car, as is typical when dreams overrule common sense and caution, I overlooked or minimized much of the hidden structural work that had to be accomplished before I could begin working on the exterior. Only after removing floors and rocker panels did the massive task become obvious. Had I known what I faced, I might have reconsidered the wisdom of undertaking such a project.

If I had a rotisserie and a larger shop full of metal working tools, the job wouldn't be quite as intimidating...or difficult, but it's far too late to change my mind or to shirk from the remaining challenges. If decent patch panels were available, the job would also be much easier. Actually, with each little success I find myself more confident to take on the next part of the project. At least I'll be able to derisively sneer at the Chevy guys who brag about doing their own restoration with the help of a dozen catalogs.

Speaking of tools, I can't imagine trying to accomplish a restoration or any sheet metal repair without a sheet metal brake. On the other hand, I discovered that the cheap bead roller I bought is mostly useless...certainly not worth what I paid for it. Since structural parts on old American cars are mostly made of 18 gauge steel, and the bead roller is designed for nothing heavier than 20 gauge, there isn't much use for it on my job. Maybe if someone is into Toyotas with their flimsy metal....

My Hobart MIG welder has been the star of the restoration. My welding skills are still nothing to brag about, but when I pay attention to what I'm doing, the results are very satisfactory. However,  if I begin to daydream when I should be thinking, the angle grinder gets a workout, so I'm fortunate that it too works like a champ.

The amount of metal I've had to replace amazes me. I was first hesitant to buy a full 4' X 8' sheet of 18 gauge, since I already had a half-sheet, but I will actually need almost another full sheet to finish the job. I ordered a half sheet of 20 gauge from a source on the Internet, and shipping was nearly the same price as the material. Shipping cost for a full sheet would have been three times the price of the material! The heavier product is available only a few miles up the road, but their wholesaler offers nothing lighter than 18, so I was forced to order online.

On the good news side, I lucked into a NOS set of Mopar stainless steel rocker trim moldings for a Desoto of similar vintage...and they cost less than I had expected to pay for used parts. Plymouth did not offer that trim in '56, but I wanted it to help visually lower and lengthen the profile. They are about 2" too long, but it should be simple to cut and reform the ends. Since they are from the Chrysler family, the rocker profile is nearly perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment