Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Plodding Along

I'm still working on the passenger side floors, but the end is in sight! Since none of the old floor could be salvaged, it took longer to measure, cut and form every piece. Nearly all the pieces are screwed in place for a test fit and I should begin welding tomorrow...unless I get too interested in the Dover race.


I sent off my complaint about the bad floor panel to Black Car, and just as I expected, all they can offer is sympathy, a load of BS about possible multiple used-on models, and a 10% discount on my next order. I'm overwhelmed by their lack of concern for their customer...

If you are tempted to use the Internet to search for car parts on partsrequest.com, save your time and money. They offer to submit your part needs to dozens of salvage yards for about $4, and if you get no responses within 72 hours they will return your money. I requested a set of Chrysler Sebring convertible seats in the Texas area, and got two generic responses from yards 1000 miles away. The responses didn't even mention seats. I'm sure they conspire with partsrequest.com to make sure the fee doesn't have to be returned.

I had hoped to locate a set of seats soon so I can install mounting brackets before I seal and prime the floors, but since I still have to spend a day or two welding everything underneath, I still have time.

The last section of interior sheet metal that needs repair is the area behind the back seat.

I think I can salvage enough of the original to eliminate having to hand form any exotic curves or corners, so that part should go rather fast. I had thought about using fiberglass for the few rust through places, but since I have enough metal I might as well make it match the rest of the patches. Besides, I hate the smell of curing fiberglass.

With any luck, by this time next week I should have a start on exterior patch panels,

No comments:

Post a Comment