Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Progress!

I took advantage of the perfect weather to roll the frame inside and get it situated under the body.

To get enough clearance to roll it under, I had to strap down the high part of the frame to the axle housing. I needed about four inches more clearance, and the 1,000 lb. rated straps were really straining to hold it down.


I had almost no issues as I was able to pry and shift the frame until the chassis mounts were somewhat aligned.


Time to lower the body. This took the longest as I had to constantly check for clearance and alignment. I sure could have used help with this operation.

The body is now sitting on the frame. Most mounting holes are aligned okay, but the two  on the floor behind the driver might require shifting for the pads to fit. This was the area that had concerned me as the rocker panel and floor were so rotted that their location was an educated guess. The parts car was just as bad, so I wasn't able to get a good measurement from it either. At most I might have to move the holes about .25 inches, and it will be close if I have to move or modify the cups to get clearance. No big problem.

The only other glitch so far involved the gas tank. The two bolts that support the rear of the tank had to be cut off. I had purposely left them long to help get nuts started on the bolts, but they hit the frame. If I could do it over, I'd move the gas tank a half-inch forward, but that won't be an issue unless I have to remove the tank. I would have to loosen four body mounts and jack the body about an inch to get access to the nuts and drop the straps. If that's my worst problem, I won't complain.

At least the frame is inside and out of the winter storms. I can now finish the front brakes and also get accurate measurements to verify the motor and transmission mount locations.

I'm worn out for the day, and have other things scheduled for tomorrow, so it might be awhile before I can finish installing the body mounts. I hope to do some more painting while the weather is nice next week and body mounts can wait a few days if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment