Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2016

So Far, So Good!

With the engine sitting on the stand and ready to fit check, I was too impatient to put it off until the weekend, so this afternoon I gave it a shot. To my relief,  everything fit quite well.



When I was measuring clearances with the mockup, I was concerned about clearance for the crank pulleys and steering linkage. Since I was quite certain there would be plenty of clearance between the hood and carburetor, I decided to place the truck motor mounts 1/4" higher and 1/4" farther forward than what I first determined would be exactly per the factory specs. It turns out that I could have used the factory specs as I now have an extra 1/4" clearance in the areas of concern, and that's fine.

I was mostly concerned about steering clearance, but it has all the room it needs with the tires turned full in either direction. If anyone is interested, the pan is from a stock '66 B-body.


Since I'll need to make a heavier, permanent version of the modified transmission shifter brackets, I put the engine back on the stand until the transmission is ready to install. I still have to get the intermediate shaft installed as well as the bypass hose that's waiting for the barbed nipples to arrive. The distributor will wait until after the engine is mounted, as closeness to the firewall makes it too easy to damage if installed now. I'll hold off on the fuel pump and dipstick tube for similar reasons.

Not sure what job to tackle next, so will see what interests me after I get everything put away. There always seems to be a mess in the workshop when major tasks are accomplished. Maybe it's time to work on the firewall and get everything mounted before the engine is in the way. The under-dash parts could also be mounted and the dash top installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment