Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Some Good News...More Bad


After nearly two days without Internet, it’s clear how vulnerable we would be if terrorists dispense with the shooting and concentrate on disrupting communications!

It’s been a good news, bad news week, so first the bad news.

I worked on the transmission end of the shifter setup and it’s not looking good for using the pushbuttons to shift. The mockup shifter worked fine, but after remaking it from the heavier material required for everyday operation, the force required to push the buttons  has become excessive. Part of the problem is in the cable design, so before giving up, I’ll try to find a smoother operating cable. I might also need to install a bearing in at least one of the pivot points. I don’t really like that idea as the shifter area is too open to mud and other debris, and a sealed bearing is a bit of overkill.

Before wiring the dash, I temporarily hung it in place to determine the best wire harness routing and to check for any interference issues. I’m glad I did as I discovered the new radio touched the windshield wiper motor. I can get about a quarter inch more clearance by modifying the mounting position, so I worked on that yesterday. If that doesn’t provide enough room, I can get a bit more with a small tweak to the wiper motor mount.

Another small issue is the water pump. With the stock replacement pump installed, the timing mark is nearly obscured by the position of the lower hose, so I decided to order a later model pump with the hose breakout on the opposite side. That pump arrived yesterday, but I quickly learned that it created a different problem. Now the ’66 alternator bracket won’t fit, as the new pump is missing a location for one of the bracket mounting bolts. I might also have to either use a later model timing marker and remark the damper, or locate a different bracket. I’ll need some more think-time for that one.
The last unwanted discovery occurred when I installed the oil pressure sender that was provided with the new gauge set. It interferes with the unique design of the aftermarket Chrysler Power intake manifold, and as I’m not ready to machine a notch in the manifold, a change in the sender mounting is in order. That problem goes on the back burner for a while.

After the rash of new problems, I decided to try something else, so I took on the job of installing the suspended accelerator pedal. I had previously made that mod to my ’73 D100 and ’64 Valiant without any problems as I was able to bolt them directly to the firewall by doing nothing more than drilling new holes. I suspected more would be needed on this car, and I was right. To get it located in the proper position I had to design a new bracket to accommodate the angled firewall. While the multi-angle bracket was a pain to make the pedal is now installed. That job reminded me that I have to send Gary Goers my old brake pedal core so he can mold a new one.

With the dash installed, I was able to make a cardboard mockup of the Vintage Air evaporator to verify that it would fit, and it appears that it will, so I ordered it yesterday.

Still working on the wiring diagrams so I can order parts for that project.

No comments:

Post a Comment