Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Firewall Build...and Another Change?


Finding a way to fit and access the under-dash AC is indescribable fun! It appears %I might have succeeded, but until the dashboard is installed I won’t know for sure if there will be room to attach the hoses to the vents. One thing for certain, when the time comes to replace the heater hoses, or to test the AC hoses for leaks, the dash will have to be removed.



One blessing is that the defroster vent on the car and the one on the AC unit are the same size so the hose doesn’t need and adapter, so some space is saved.
If anyone is considering installing aftermarket air conditioning, I strongly recommend using a smaller unit than mine, or at least one that has better access to all the connections when everything is assembled. If I were ever crazy enough to do it again, I’d probably modify the firewall with a removable panel to allow access from under the hood.

The recent need to avoid heavy work is dangerous in ways other than physical, as I have too much time to sit around contemplating and questioning decisions I earlier thought were etched in stone. The latest involves yet another shifter option. After failing to perfect the pushbutton control to my satisfaction, I had decided to use the early A-body shifter I had on the shelf. I modified it to operate with one cable, but had to fabricate a custom lever design on the transmission end. I was more or less done with that job when I ran across this stock '67 A-body shifter at a good price. Since they are always in demand and can easily be re-sold, I decided to buy it to see if I could make it fit. Good idea or not, it looks easily doable, so I've been redesigning the console to accommodate it.  I think it would look better than the early-A body floor shifter, and the stock mechanical linkage is simpler and preferable to the cable version I had planned. Less important, but a nice touch, the knob design is similar in looks to the stock '56 dash controls.



No comments:

Post a Comment