Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

Running in Place

A good friend had a favorite saying..."The harder I work, the behinder I get!"  That pretty much describes my recent progress. Though I've been spending a lot of time on car related work, I have little or nothing to show for it.

I got tired of limited workspace, messy standard parts storage, and misplaced parts, so I built the low workbench and bought three new parts bins. That required several hours of sorting and organizing all the nuts, bolts, screws, clips, clamps, electrical terminals and miscellaneous other parts.

Once that was done. I decided to sort and store the bigger parts in some semblance of order. That took another few hours adjusting shelving and re-boxing parts to gain more space.

Between housekeeping tasks, I searched for the parts and materials I'll need next. Some things have been ordered, and some are still to be located. A couple of so-called universal light sockets will not fit as hoped, so I'll have to find some used parts in better shape than the ones I have, or design a work-around with what I have.

I finally decided which products I need to finish the headliner shell, and should be able to pick up the fiberglass materials on Monday. The counter guy at the retailer obviously didn't want to take the time over the phone to verify he everything was available, so I'll be heading there on Monday to see how much they have in stock. I never expected it would be so difficult to find fiberglass materials without taking a trip to Dallas or Fort Worth.

I made a trip to the machine shop to check progress on my custom steering shaft. It's now been there over two months and doesn't look like anything will happen soon. I was informed that the owner... the one who does most of their custom jobs...suffered a heart attack and wasn't expected back for several weeks.

Our first freeze arrives tonight, so I have patio plants to move inside and green tomatoes to pick, or cover so I better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment