Search This Blog

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Fiberglass at Last

The great experiment to create a headliner that uses modern fabric glued to a headliner shell is underway. Though the weather turned to cool days and cold nights, I had one day of temps over 70 so I could build the first mat layer. There were a few problems, but nothing unexpected or too serious.

I hope to keep the weight down by adding and additional layer of glass only in the areas where it will be attached to the body. Temperatures to work with the resin won't be high enough until late next week, so I have to wait again. I could heat the workshop, but the odor is more than I want to put up with in a closed area.

I took a drive to the plating shop I used for my last batch of parts, and discovered they no longer chrome plate due to new EPA regulations. There is now only one place left in Fort Worth that does chroming. I found a place in a smaller town near the Oklahoma border that does show-car chrome at show-car prices, and since they modified their shop to comply with government regulations, the price estimate was about three to four times the price a similar amount of work cost two years ago in Fort Worth. It's easy to understand why new car trim is all plastic.

No word from the machine shop doing my steering column work, other than they are falling farther and farther behind since the owner had his heart attack. It's been three months, and they have their regular customers to pacify, and are not too concerned about a customer who brings in a small job now and then. I might have to search for another machinist, but that shop has the best reputation and I hesitate to take a chance with the other local ones. I'm glad I don't have a real need for it yet. Maybe it will arrive in Santa's sleigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment