Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Headliner Shell Fit Check

Finished removing and cleaning the fiberglass headliner shell, and I learned a lot of how to, and how not to do things. The mold was destroyed in the process, but since this is the only part in existence, there is no need for another mold.


I'm quite surprised at how well it fits in place. Maneuvering the big flexible shell in through the window opening by myself was a pain, but I made it!. As expected, all the sides need trimming, but that was the intent. Better too big, than too small. Only one corner came up a fraction short, and it might work, but I can't measure that accurately until the re-chromed windshield surrounds are returned. I might have to add a small patch if the chrome piece doesn't quite cover it.



The other area that could be a problem is where the visors mount, but that will also have to wait for parts to verify.

After trimming, I will add a final coat of resin to the fabric surface to repair a few places gouged when the mold release didn't do its job, and I will also reinforce the back side if needed. If I decide to use chrome strips to keep it from sagging, it won't need more reinforcing. That decision will depend on if I can find the plastic trim/windlace that secures the headliner to the roof rails.

No comments:

Post a Comment