Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2017

Funny How Time Slips Away



As I was looking back at old blog posts, I was amazed that car related things that I thought happened just a few weeks ago, actually took place a couple of years ago! Between trying to sell two houses half-way across the state, having out-of-state visitors, trying to finish all the projects on my wife's to-do list, and being slowed with health issues, I haven't accomplished much in the way of car reconstruction recently.

I did finish laying fiberglass, but have yet to separate the shell from the mold. Because it's thinner than the typical molded part, I have to be very careful not to crack it during removal. I now wish I had used a thin plastic wrap, as a mold release. The paste wax didn't do the best job as a mold release, even after five coats. I have it loose around the edges, but I might have to destroy the mold to convince the middle portion to release.

Wiring behind the dash is going to be a nightmare with all the A/C hoses and the Vintage Air housing eating up the already limited space designed for the stock heater. I decided to cut off the lower portion of an old, rusty Savoy dash that came with the Belvedere, and use it to more accurately locate duct outlets and wire bundles. At least I'll be able to access most of the work from the front, instead of having to lie on my back and work overhead.

While working on the end of the console where it meets the dash and firewall, I decided it would be a good idea to re-design the home made metal duct intended to direct air toward the driver's floor. There just wasn't enough clearance to jam everything that has to fit in that tight area. I finished the new duct, and incorporated a mounting bracket for the A/C relays, so I hope I pick up enough room to stuff everything out of sight and in a way that the wire bundles don't rub.






2 comments:

  1. Wow,that looks to be quite a struggle to fit everything inside that dash..I guess you have relocated the radio to the console,and maybe also sacrificing the glove box ?
    I'm exited to see how your headliner turns out,I take it,you're making one for a wagon too ? he,he
    I am working a little with my wagon these days,fabricating sheet metal around the tailgate opening,without doubt the most tricky parts I've ever made..would love to have some machines to help me,but don't have the space,or the money,so it must be the hard way..
    Keep up the good work Gary,your car can taste some Texan roads next summer..
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geir, yes, the dash area is going to be a tight fit everywhere. The radio will be installed in the stock location, as there is no room on the console since I had to use a floor shifter. I did fit check it and it is nearly touching the wiper motor, but the radio housing could be trimmed a quarter of an inch if the final installation proves to be a problem. I’m mostly worried about connecting the AC ducts, as the hoses are difficult to attach, and it will be impossible to see, so will have to be done by feel! I should lose only a couple of inches on the right side of the glove box. With the console armrest storage, I should have enough space to keep all the paperwork.

    The headliner is definitely a big headache. I have the shell removed from the mold, but had to destroy the mold in the process as the paste wax release agent didn’t work very well. I’m now cleaning off the foam where it stuck to the shell, and because there are only three layers of fiberglass, I must be very careful not to damage it. Once I fit check it, I’m sure it will need additional work in places, so installation probably won’t happen soon.

    I sympathize with you having to fabricate sheet metal, just as I did, but that’s what we get for choosing to restore a model not supported by the aftermarket, and trying to do it without expensive tools. I hope you are taking pictures of your work, so you can share it here.

    ReplyDelete