Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Engine Bay Wiring

I'm getting a little deeper into the under-hood wiring and like everything else, unexpected issues bog down progress.

After laying out the ignition component locations, the next step was deciding where to mount the fuse and relay block, so I decided that it would be advisable to verify the configuration of undecided parts, like the radiator. There wasn't a radiator in either project car to use as a guide, and I haven't given much consideration to cooling...like if I should go with a stock clutch fan or an electric fan. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but since an electric fan needs 12 volts to operate, and I'm totally rewiring the car, it makes a difference where I place the wiring and power source.

I expected that I would need a radiator shaped somewhat like the stock version, but the first and most obvious differences were the hose connection points on the original configuration and the later 1966, 318 engine. The '66 lower hose connects on the driver's side, while the '56 version is on the passenger side. Naturally, that means the top connection is also on the opposite side, so a custom radiator looks mandatory.

Champion lists a '55-'56 stock configuration, but according to their price list, having the manufacturer move the outlets and petcock more than doubles the price of the stock configuration, and that places it in a similar price range as a full custom design.

Going with Champion does give me a substantially reduced price on a Spal electric fan, so I'll do some more pricing before I decide. Unfortunately, choosing the electric fan would mean a heavy load on the stock 60 amp alternator, which may mean an upgrade there.

I'm also reconsidering my original decision to swap sides for the AC and alternator mounts. Most of the brackets I made to test mounting locations and methods were intended to be temporary and would have to be re-made from heavier material when the car gets is ready for the road. The radiator configuration I choose could affect how I decide to mount them, so in the meantime wiring in the engine bay goes on hold.



2 comments:

  1. Would a Rad out of a '66 318 work? The electric fan and shroud from a mark 8 Lincoln is dangerous to small children and pets that get in front of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I ended up ordering from Champion. They list it as V8 only, some models '63-'67. At least the dimensions are close to the '56 numbers. The only thing I have to change is the thermostat housing. It's scheduled to arrive this Friday, and the e-bay fan the following Monday. I'll get pictures and write it up when they arrive. I'll have to measure the fit so I can order the correct fan clutch and verify the fan clears everything.

    ReplyDelete