Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2018

Good News...Bad News

The good versus bad news comment always makes me think about the joke I heard maybe thirty years ago.

The guy who whips the crew that rows the old Roman galley announces to the crew that there is good news and bad news. The good news is that they will all be getting double rations. The crew cheers wildly! Then the bad news..."the skipper wants to water ski this afternoon!"

My good news is that the Champion radiator arrived today and it was a nearly perfect fit. Three of the four mounting holes fit were in the exact location needed, and only one hole will have to be drilled in the radiator bracket about a half-inch lower.

The bad news is that there is not enough clearance to install a clutch fan. I can't see bolting my 6-blade fan to the water pump as it would take a lot of horsepower to run constantly. This car isn't going to be raced or hot-rodded, but I know I would worry about that big fan dragging down power and would ultimately decide to replace it with an electric fan. If I do it now, I'll have all kind of room to work, so it makes sense to do it now. I will also upgrade the charging system so the electric fan doesn't overload the circuit.



I decided to move the alternator to the same side as the AC compressor, and have been designing and fabricating the new mounting brackets. This time I used heavier material so they won't have to be re-done. I might have pictures tomorrow, if the paint dries and I get time to install them.

No comments:

Post a Comment