Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Console Switch Mods


Console wiring took a back seat to a need to design a different way to mount the HVAC switches. Originally, I mounted them directly on the front plate with the aluminum trim in place. When I tried to wire the switches, I found it difficult to see the wired terminals, so I decided to mount the switches on a smaller bracket that could be removed from the console for better access and visibility.  I threw together a quick mockup and it works fine. In fact, it works well enough that I’m not going to make a neater permanent bracket. It won’t be visible when the trim is installed, so why waste time making it pretty when it functions perfectly well as is.

 I finished wiring the switches in place and installed a few other wires that route to the console bus.  I also ordered a bussed terminal strip to use as a central ground point under the dash, and it should be here late this week.


While I wait for that I’ll make a few wiring changes in the dash bundles before the dash is installed. I expected a need to revise some circuits as I got deeper into the merging ’56 and ’66 parts with the truck steering column wiring, and it was a good guess.



FWIW, I still need another knob like the ones shown in the last photo. If anyone has one they can spare, please let me know. It can have any engraved legend, as I will fill the engraving with Muggyweld before having them re-chromed.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work Gary. I have plenty of extra knobs,and will gladly send you one for free.Might take some time over the Atlantic though..and I will need your adress..think you have my mail from before ?
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Geir! For some reason I can't find your email address, but mine is GaryS1941@yahoo.com. My home address is Gary Sand, 102 Petes Lane, Ponder, TX 76259

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok,I will take a dive into my parts pile tomorrow,and get it over to you ASAP..
      Geir

      Delete
  3. Thanks again! No rush, so don't go out of your way. I really appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete