Search This Blog

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Lots of Parts

I picked up the engine from the machine shop and mounted the block on a new engine stand.

The crankshaft was in good shape and only needed polishing. All the valves were replaced with high quality stainless parts and hardened seats were installed. I won't even unwrap them until they are ready to install. The bill was a pleasant surprise at just over $1400 and that included the gasket set, US sourced Clevite rod and main bearings, rods resized, and the pistons I furnished installed. A new intermediate shaft bushing was pressed in, as were cam bearings and brass freeze plugs. Having a performance machine shop nearby is a blessing, and one that does work for a reasonable price is almost unheard of.
 
Fabric samples also arrived. Two of them were similar to '57-'59 patterns, but I couldn't find samples of anything similar to '56. The light one with the odd pattern is somewhat like what I saw on a '56 Fury that had be "restified", but I think the color might look washed-out if paired with the creamy white vinyl I visualize. I like both of the darker, patterned fabrics, and am leaning toward the top one, as it appears a bit more gold in bright light. While not original, it does look period correct, so I'll take it in to the upholstery shop and match it to available vinyl and carpet.
 
 I won't be using a lot of the fabric, as I think it might look too busy, so I only plan to put it in the center portions of the seats and an accent section on the door panels. Carpet will also be darker and probably a deep pile.
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks good. But how about Original Auto? http://originalauto.com/ Wanting to steer clear of SMS, I was going to look to them for the white vinyls for my 60 Windsor.

    ReplyDelete