Search This Blog

Monday, March 6, 2017

Soundproofing and Tooling

After another long drive and exhausting housecleaning day in East Texas on Saturday, I used Sunday to recuperate, nap, and watch the Monster Cup race in Atlanta. Then on Monday morning, I caught up on cleaning and laundry in this house. I'm sure I mentioned before, but my wife has serious back problems and can be mostly bedridden for days, so I inherit the housework and cooking.

I was able to spend most of this afternoon installing soundproofing material in the rear seat area and under the dash, and even had some time to work on a tool design to help install the rear glass trim. I think I discovered a configuration that will do the trick if I can get an assist from someone inside the car while I work on it from the outside.

I made the prototype tool out of Lexan, but need to make the real thing out of steel so I can bend the shaft and handle to get a good grip while it's in use.  If I can't find a helper, I think I can make a fixture to put and hold pressure on the trim piece so it doesn't keep trying to move away from the seal. It would be somewhat of a Rube Goldberg creation, but it looks doable.

Possible heavy storms predicted for tonight, but the next week looks good to get work done in the yard and in the workshop. I'd love to get the rear glass issue solved so can move on with the remaining trim!

I still need to make one last trip to finish work in the East Texas house, but at least the heavy work is done. It will mostly consist of hauling over some new bathroom light fixtures and coordinating final contractor repairs, so I'll schedule my trip for the day he arrives on the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment