Search This Blog

Monday, January 8, 2018

Time to Bite the Bullet!

I've finally given up trying to find a simple way to resolve my starter interference issue, so today I removed and disconnected everything  needed to pull the engine . I also decided which way and how far I must move the mounts to make sure there is enough room for movement.

Unfortunately, all the problems won't disappear when I get the mounts relocated, as it will require a different transmission dipstick tube. The stock '66 B-body tube will hit the firewall, and I have no idea what model car I need to cannibalize. The stock one would work if I hadn't installed the rear dump exhaust manifold. That manifold part number is listed for a '66 C-body, so that might be the first place to look.

The one on my '73 truck is approximately the right shape, but it's impossible to get an accurate measurement, so it might be wishful thinking that it would be that simple. I'll have to re-install the motor to get a closer measurement, and then I can start the search.

Looks like we're going to have a few days in the mid-60s in about a week, so I think I'll wait until then to pull the engine. In the meantime, I'll work on wiring the back half.

5 comments:

  1. "will require a different transmission dipstick tube"
    Hum, ......maybe flexible aftermarket (Lokar?)???
    Got the body off the frame today, after a two month set back from the rotten floors/quarter panels. Dakota sub-frame soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lokar is an option, but I'll first try to find an OEM style part that will work.
    I'm really anxious to see and hear your progress with the Dakota clip, and hope you document it online with lots of pictures. If you don't create a blog of your own, you are more than welcome to post here anytime and as often as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would like to see some pictures of your project Old Ray !
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want to say I love your blog, thanks so much for sharing, I am doing something similar on a 56 Dodge Regent(in Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you stopped by! I'm anxious to hear more about your project.

    ReplyDelete