Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Back at it

 Feeing much more energetic today and I actually found a few hours to work on the car. You guessed it...I immediately encountered another glitch.

I have yet to receive the simpler-configuration door latches, so was concentrating on getting the quarter windows installed and adjusted close to the final settings so I will be ready to install the door windows when the latches arrive and their function is proved out.

The passenger side was simple and it took only a few minutes to adjust them within 1/8" of what should be the final front window contact points. 

Naturally, everything went to hell with the driver's side. For some reason, the window needs to rotate around the pivot pin approximately another 5/8", and move forward 1/4", but everything hits a dead stop before it rotates  that much, and for the life of me, I can't find a way to accomplish that much adjustment for either problem! 

There must be an adjustment I have yet to discover, or maybe it's a case of post-Covid-19 brain fade! Sure wish the service manual contained a better description of the adjustment process. I'll pull the window again tomorrow and see if I can find something bent in the track or pivot point that might cause it to bind.

At least the beautiful weather is supposed to last for one more day. It's 77F and clear with light westerly winds today! Weekend will be cool, wet and windy with a slight chance of snow near the Red River. Bah, humbug!

The latch company sent the four clips that attach the cables to the latch, so at least they haven't forgotten about my order yet! Now if the latches will arrive soon after new years day, as promised....

6 comments:

  1. I don't know why I became incognito on the last post, maybe sent it from my work computer that doesn't have it saved, anyways in spite of being a total klutz I wasn't my fault, honestly I didn't do anything !
    Don't know about the hardtop windows, the last time I rolled mine down was in 1966 when I sold it. The wagon has sliders, they are kind of neat. But, would comparing the tracks and operation from the side that works is there anything that is different. Glad to hear your moving. Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I shouldn't complain, since I have a 2-door hardtop. The 4-door hardtops have that flakey double window setup in the rear doors, and that must be a real riot to adjust! For sure the sliders have to be a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man welcome back...glad you made it through this well. New viewer here, ran across your blog while researching Gen 2 Belvederes....I go to look at a '56 white-over-black tomorrow, hopefully to purchase & tuck into the barn, awaiting my retirement when I too shall have the time to hammer on old cars. You're coming up on finishing what I am about to begin. So, a tip o' the hat to you & your wife, I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to be back,Tom, and welcome to my long-running, often frustrating blog! If you do buy that car, I'd like to see pictures, and any information you'd like to share so I can post it here.
    I bought a black and white '56 Belvedere 4-door sedan for $50 from a neighbor back in 1965. Both the engine and transmission were destroyed, so I used parts from it to convert my '55 Savoy daily driver from 6 to 12 volts and to upgrade some of the common trim.

    One thing for certain. If you do pick a '56 Plymouth for a project car, it will always be rare, on the road and in car shows, and it will be a challenge to find parts, especially if you try to keep it stock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gary - it was real tough to not buy that car I mentioned, but it had a few hundred hail dents, which is quite a trick for that old thick sheet metal - heartbreaking, really, it was eminently restorable. All chrome intact but dented too. The guy's pictures were fabulous on craigslist & masked the dents & the big rust patch on the roof quite nicely! ....I'm now really invested in finding a '56. Sweet, sweet year for the Belvedere.

    I'm not sure how I might message you here on blogspot, so email me if you like, & I'll send pics. I'm at tomatillotom at gmail dot com

    Happy holidays & see ya online.



    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've also had disappointments when seeing an advertised car in real life! My '56 also had hail damage that wasn't obvious in the pictures. The hood took a lot of work, and I still see a few shallow dings that I didn't catch before paint, but I keep telling myself its not a show car!

    ReplyDelete