Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2015

Motor Mounts are Installed

With rain forecast for the rest of the week, I thought it wise to finish the motor mount installation so the bare metal from cutting and grinding doesn't rust before I weld. It was windy again today, so welding was difficult as the gas kept blowing away from the weld. I finally finished, but the welds are not as pretty as they might have been if done indoors.

Because the saddles were cut from a truck donor and were mounted to the side frames, they aren't as tall as the ones I've seen in cars, so I had to scab on several pieces of 1/8" metal to reinforce the brackets. If the car had come with an engine and transmission installed so reference points were available, I could have removed the stock brackets and fabricated the modern brackets to look a lot neater. The way it is, I had to use the stock pads as attach points, and even then it was a guess.

I keep telling myself to quit worrying about neat in places not normally seen, but I hate doing things like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment