Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Rubik's Cube

I was able to sneak into the workshop for a while yesterday so I decided to see what I could do about the belt and pulley combination I'll eventually be faced with. Working with the engine on a stand makes everything a lot more accessible.

The stock setup from the '66 B-body donor car had the huge crankshaft pulley that would have created an interference problem with the '56 frame, so I swapped that pulley for a smaller diameter, two-groove version from a LA engine. However, that created additional belt alignment problems. Add the fact that I'm using an aftermarket Sanden AC compressor on an engine that never came with one....yet another opportunity presents itself!

I  dipped into my stash of pulleys, brackets, spacers and odd-length bolts to see if any combination could be made to fit, but after playing Rubik's cube for an hour, I concluded that I'll have to make custom brackets, modify something from my collection, or buy a complete aftermarket combination that works together. I checked e-bay to see if they might have something I could use, but the prices are ridiculous for used parts. Parts and pieces picked up from multiple auctions, along with multiple overpriced shipping rates would be more expensive than buying a complete set of matched aluminum pulleys from a performance parts supplier.

I think moving the alternator to the other side of the engine would be a better setup. With the battery relocated to the trunk there will be more room on that side. However, that requires a totally custom-shaped mounting bracket for the alternator as there are no holes in the head and water pump to use just spacers and flat plates.

That will also allow placing the AC compressor on the same side as the hoses. Less interference and access issues and it would look better not having the hoses and wiring cross over the front of the engine.

Whatever I do, I hope I can find enough belt clearance to eliminate an idler pulley. The stock one fits only one way on the water pump, and the press-fit bearing sounds pretty rough, so everything would have to be new.


No comments:

Post a Comment