Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Color Sanding

Yesterday I started color sanding, but before I did, I asked for professional opinions on a popular auto body repair forum. Just as there are varying ideas about everything else in the world, no two people can agree on the best method to finish a paint job.

I've never had the desire for an immaculate paint finish on any of my cars. I want to drive them without fear of acquiring a blemish on perfection. I want to enjoy them and to let others do the same. I never post a "Look but don't Touch" sign on my cars at a car show. It's fun letting kids sit behind the wheel  of a car they'll likely never have the joy of driving, or letting an old couple sit together and reminisce about the car..."just like it"...that he owned when they were dating. Pleasure shared with others is much more rewarding than when it is not.

That said, I followed one expert's suggestions for sanding grit, method, and how and with what to polish. The easier process he recommended would never pass for a concourse restoration, but is certainly acceptable for my daily driver expectations. The problem is that any method is very tiring for an old body, and may take longer than expected.  I may have to add a few recovery days between work days. Today I'm going to recover by spending a few hours riding around on the lawn mower. It uses fewer muscles!


No comments:

Post a Comment