Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Windshield Trim Difference

I've been looking at and enjoying the beautiful Exner lines for fifty years, but I must be blind to detail, because I just discovered that there is a rather distinct styling difference between '56 Plymouths of the same year.

I ordered a windshield ($$$!) yesterday and decided to polish the trim so it will be ready to install. To my surprise the upper and side mouldings are much different between my Belvedere and the Fury parts car! FWIW, I much prefer the wide version, and since there are holes in the roof for the fasteners, it's the one I'm going to install.



After finding this, I searched for more photos on the Internet and found nothing to indicate that either style is consistent on 2-door hardtops. The wider style appears to be the only one used on convertibles, but hardtops can have either, no matter if they were Belvederes, Savoys or Furys.

I'd be curious to know if it was date or factory restricted.

Meanwhile, color sanding continues.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Garry, surely by now, working on Mopars for a lifetime, you must know that they are just like a scruffy mutt, a little dysfunctional but very loveable. Trying to make reason out of the way that Chrysler did things is impossible to understand,..... and sure way increase your alcohol and medication use. I know,..... I have more than two of them.
    Love your Blog, Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think these wide mouldings also were availlable in 1955,but only for the lower windshield ( conv.and ht )..they look nice,but sadly won't fit my wagon..As you know,I have a Plaza,but I plan to put much " bling " on it,so it will appear as the two door Belvedere wagon Chrysler never built.I do have the stainless mouldings that goes around the widshield,but do you know what windshield rubber to use ? I know there's two,or maybe tree different ones to go with the various mouldings setup..
    Keep up the good work Gary,very interesting to follow your progress,and an inspiration for others to get something done..
    Regards,
    Geir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mopars can indeed be a challenge and there are always new surprises, but if I was doing '57 Chevy I'd be bored to death!

    Geir, because I never noticed the trim differences, I simply ordered the only rubber seal listed for my model, and the grooves for the trim appear to match the old OEM part. I see that Steele Rubber Products lists three versions for the wagons, but I have no idea what the differences might besides the moulded corners they mention. I'm guessing the high priced one has the grooves needed for the Belvedere trim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok Gary,won't need no windshield or seal for a good while,but will have to figure this out when time comes..
    Geir

    ReplyDelete