Search This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Going for the Gold!


When your tired old arms are aching from color sanding, what's the logical thing to do? Well, I’ve been impatient to see what the gold material looked like against the paint, so I put down the sanding pad and brought out the gold. I didn't trim it to size and shape yet, but you can get the idea.

Since there is no matching-pattern aluminum for the side trim available anywhere, instead of settling for painting the gold spear I elected to buy some of the Mylar material  James Rawa used for his ’57-’58 Plymouth spears. The material size was such that the spear will be slightly smaller than stock, but that was my intent anyway, so everything worked out fine. He had never done one for a ’56, but I measured what I needed, and he laid it out.  He was great to deal with and despite the different pattern, I’m very pleased with the look.


The photo does not show the ’57 color accurately, but in person I much prefer the deviation from the stock white, and in the company of a real ‘56 there will be no mistaking it for a butchered stock Fury. Not everyone will like my modifications, but the other option was to use the Belvedere for a parts car, so I will definitely have one of a kind, but it won't be a clone.

2 comments:

  1. Cool! So does the Fury chrome trim go around the Mylar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Mylar will be glued on and the stainless trim attached with emblem tape.

    ReplyDelete