Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Waiting

Windy weather, so I wait. The final primer coat has been sanded as good as I can get it, so I've been doing other things to pass time until I can roll the car outside to apply the color. I'm also waiting for a touch-up gun I ordered to arrive. I bit the bullet and ordered a high quality DeVilbiss. The paint I bought has a propensity to run, and there are many tight corners to get into, so I decided to get a smaller gun that is more appropriate for the job.

The fenders needed more work before mounting, so that's one job I've worked on this week. The passenger side is nearly done and the other will be finished in a day or two.


The parking light housings on the '56 models are made of rubber and mine have age-hardened to the point of crumbling. They are beyond salvaging and I'm sure it will be impossible to find OEM parts that are in decent shape, so I have two options. I'm told the '55 version is made of metal, so that would be the easier choice if I could find some for a reasonable price. The other option is to make new housings myself. Since I'm not worried about originality, and since they are tucked up under the grille bar they wouldn't be noticeable to the untrained eye. For now that's the way I'm going to go. If they don't turn out nice, I can look for the '55 parts.


3 comments:

  1. Gary, I have some used '55 housings if you need them. I actually found some NOS '56's but I need them for my build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, thanks for the offer. Since I'm not too concerned about total stock look, I'm going to fabricate one and see how it looks and functions...but I might take you up on the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good . . . and I am glad you are maintaining your blog. I hadn't really been checking into it since you said you were going to stop.

    ReplyDelete