Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2017

Console and Shifter


The console finally has a skeleton to build on. The shifter rod is complete and mounted to the transmission bracket so I could determine the final dimensions for the console mounting. After concern that the shift mechanism might not fit clear everything, I was pleasantly surprised to find a perfect fit. I am going to re-make the top plate to incorporate a couple of features, but that’s not a big deal.
The shifter frame required the mounting bracket to be modified. Once again I left it stock, but welded a couple of spacers on the mounting tabs to hold it in the proper position. They can be ground off if the shifter is ever used on a body it was intended for.




 Here is the lengthened shaft and the parts it required.


 I debated welding the extension on the old shaft, but it was substantially harder steel than the grade 8 bolt I used for material and it might have been difficult to get a good weld. It also saved the shaft if it’s ever removed and placed in a stock body. The collar should be fine for light usage and it fits exactly right to function as a retaining spacer instead of drilling the shafts to use washers and cotter pins to hold it in the different body than was intended.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Gary
    I received the sill plates - thanks so much! How much do I owe you for the postage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn, I don't recall, but it should be stamped on the tube postage label.

    ReplyDelete